brimartinez

Bri's Books

Hello, there! My name is Brianna, but everyone calls me Bri. I'm a book lover that lives in San Francisco, CA, and I will literally read anything that I can get my hands on. My go-to genres are usually urban or epic fantasy, anything YA, classics, and popular fiction and non-fiction works. I love going to unique bookstores, and the ultimate happiness is sipping on a cup of tea or coffee, curled up on the couch in a blanket and reading a good book.

I tend to write reviews on books that I really enjoyed or books that I didn't. My reviews can sometimes be snarky and sarcastic, emotional, or just filled with love and mushiness. I'm usually just a laid-back, open-minded and friendly person, but I will get excited and fangirl about books like you wouldn't believe! I always try to be respectful of both authors and readers whose opinions are different from mine, and I love having in-depth. thoughtful book discussions. If you are a fellow book lover that is active on the site, please do not hesitate to reach out and say hi! :)

The Promise of Amazing

The Promise of Amazing - Robin Constantine Ugh, the insta-love epidemic has struck again.

Needless to say, the romance here did not work for me. The characters felt one-dimensional and flat. I'm sure it did not help that I never really cared for Grayson from the beginning. I would have liked to see some kind of development from him, such as learning from past mistakes, etc. Instead, he continues on the same path he's been on and never really matures. Wren just kind of took all his crap. Whenever he made mistakes and upset her, she would brood for a while, and then they would be completely in love again. Girl, grow a backbone. It would have been nice to see her confront him about their problems instead of just waiting for him to apologize.

The main plot conflict was lacking. It was easy to see where everything was headed fairly early on, and there never really was any kind of climax. Also, the writing drove me nuts. I know this is a YA novel, but reading the occasional lines like "Whateverrrr, playah, you're in loveeee" just grated on my nerves and made the characters seem extremely juvenile.

Overall, this book has the potential to be sweet and romantic, but it fell well short of that.