brimartinez

Bri's Books

Hello, there! My name is Brianna, but everyone calls me Bri. I'm a book lover that lives in San Francisco, CA, and I will literally read anything that I can get my hands on. My go-to genres are usually urban or epic fantasy, anything YA, classics, and popular fiction and non-fiction works. I love going to unique bookstores, and the ultimate happiness is sipping on a cup of tea or coffee, curled up on the couch in a blanket and reading a good book.

I tend to write reviews on books that I really enjoyed or books that I didn't. My reviews can sometimes be snarky and sarcastic, emotional, or just filled with love and mushiness. I'm usually just a laid-back, open-minded and friendly person, but I will get excited and fangirl about books like you wouldn't believe! I always try to be respectful of both authors and readers whose opinions are different from mine, and I love having in-depth. thoughtful book discussions. If you are a fellow book lover that is active on the site, please do not hesitate to reach out and say hi! :)

Retro Geeks

Retro Geeks - Karen Mueller Bryson What a fun, fluffy read! Retro Geeks is a nice coming-of-age story of how two girls come to embrace their individuality. Molly and Ally are self-proclaimed retro geeks, but being retro does not equate to being ‘cool’. Determined to become part of the In-Crowd, they devise a series of plans to land them popularity and handsome prom dates.

The story itself is light, and there are a few fun moments that make Retro Geeks an entertaining read. Molly and Anna have a very tightly bound friendship, and some of the schemes they concocted together were so crazy it was ridiculous. Their story is all kinds of adorable, and it really made me recall (and not miss) how over-the-top and dramatic everything was in high school.

Some moments in this book were very reminiscent of the movie Mean Girls, and Elisa and friends reminded me a lot of Regina and her crew, cattiness and all. Also, as an added bonus, there is a guy named Tucker who just so happens to be a cowboy, and his kindhearted personality is very similar to Unearthly’s Tucker Avery (*swoon* I <3 Tucker Avery!). Overall, the story can be kind of silly and juvenile at moments, and it is easy to see how the storyline will progress, but it serves well for a short, fun read.