brimartinez

Bri's Books

Hello, there! My name is Brianna, but everyone calls me Bri. I'm a book lover that lives in San Francisco, CA, and I will literally read anything that I can get my hands on. My go-to genres are usually urban or epic fantasy, anything YA, classics, and popular fiction and non-fiction works. I love going to unique bookstores, and the ultimate happiness is sipping on a cup of tea or coffee, curled up on the couch in a blanket and reading a good book.

I tend to write reviews on books that I really enjoyed or books that I didn't. My reviews can sometimes be snarky and sarcastic, emotional, or just filled with love and mushiness. I'm usually just a laid-back, open-minded and friendly person, but I will get excited and fangirl about books like you wouldn't believe! I always try to be respectful of both authors and readers whose opinions are different from mine, and I love having in-depth. thoughtful book discussions. If you are a fellow book lover that is active on the site, please do not hesitate to reach out and say hi! :)

On the Edge

On the Edge - Ilona Andrews How do you know when a book is going to be amazing? When the main character has to shot her zombie grandfather to prevent him from eating dogs’ brains, yells at one of her younger brothers for bringing the dead back to life and tattle tailing, and scolding the other brother, a feline shapeshifter, for constantly chasing and eating birds. All within the first 10 pages. She then proceeds to almost run over royalty and kill off an evil hell hound, all while getting a pretty good deal on a new pair of sneakers for one brother. Yep, this book is going to be a good one!

Simply put, On the Edge is pure, unadulterated satisfaction. The world Rose, her brothers, and Declan lives in is brilliantly crafted and rife with originality. I loved discovering more about their world, and Andrews does a wonderful job in presenting it, making the dynamics of The Broken, The Edge, and The Weird easy to understand. The characters were also exquisitely done. Rose is prickly and untrusting, but with her attempted-kidnapping track record, it is easy to understand why. She has the ability to use white flash, a type of magic only used by nobles in The Weird, and this ability makes her a valuable commodity in The Edge. Not one to be used or walked on because of her magic, she tends to shoot first and ask questions later. She is fiercely loyal to her brothers, and I admired her resilience and strength. Declan is perfect for Rose. He is a noble from The Weird, a trained fighter with white flash abilities of his own. He is egotistical (but Rose quickly puts him in his place), infuriating, swoon-worthy, and unabashedly protective of Rose and everyone in her life. Together, Rose and Declan make a great pair, and I loved watching their relationship develop. To top everything off, there was Jack and George. I LOVED THEM. If there was a way I could put them in my pocket and keep them forever, I would do it. Even though they are young, they are mature and knowledgeable, and despite having completely different personalities, there is a strong brotherly bond between them that tugs at the heart and left me grinning like a ninny.

Overall, this book was everything I expected from Ilona Andrews and more. On the Edge is the beginning of what I am sure will be an amazing new series, and I cannot wait to read the next installment!