brimartinez

Bri's Books

Hello, there! My name is Brianna, but everyone calls me Bri. I'm a book lover that lives in San Francisco, CA, and I will literally read anything that I can get my hands on. My go-to genres are usually urban or epic fantasy, anything YA, classics, and popular fiction and non-fiction works. I love going to unique bookstores, and the ultimate happiness is sipping on a cup of tea or coffee, curled up on the couch in a blanket and reading a good book.

I tend to write reviews on books that I really enjoyed or books that I didn't. My reviews can sometimes be snarky and sarcastic, emotional, or just filled with love and mushiness. I'm usually just a laid-back, open-minded and friendly person, but I will get excited and fangirl about books like you wouldn't believe! I always try to be respectful of both authors and readers whose opinions are different from mine, and I love having in-depth. thoughtful book discussions. If you are a fellow book lover that is active on the site, please do not hesitate to reach out and say hi! :)

Caterpillar

Caterpillar - Kate  Oliver I have to admit, I was a little worried about this book once I started getting into the story. I tend to stray from stories involving aliens falling in love with humans (unless the story has Daemon from the Lux Series in it- I would not mind at all then!), and seeing how Caterpillar is exactly that type of alien/human love story, I approached it with trepidation. I ended up being worried for nothing! Overall, the story was well written, and the romance, save for the slight instant attraction factor, was very believable. (I did not get any creepy alien-loves-mortal vibes, so that was a good thing!) Caterpillar was a pleasant surprise and a wonderful debut by Kate Oliver.

I liked Cara as a female lead, but my heart went out to Will. He is a guy who is wracked by loneliness, has never really experienced what it means to care for someone else or be cared for, and just seems to have an inability to connect to those around him. He feels like he lives on the periphery, and he just ends up feeling a large disconnect to the life he is leading and his emotions. He meets Cara, and he is slowly able to show more of himself and find beauty and love in the life he is leading. I loved the deep, emotional connection between Cara and Will. Cara is also a bit of a loner, a girl who is just looking to outrun her emotionally turbulent past and her mother’s complaints. When she and Will come together, they bring out the best in each other, and I loved reading about their budding relationship.

Caterpillar is the first book in The Metamorphosis Series, but it can be read as a stand-alone work. There is a no cliffhanger and the conflicts with the villain were resolved. Seeing as to how this novel can be read by itself, I am not too sure how the series will progress. The issue with Will being basically immortal and Cara being only human is still open, so maybe the next book will settle that? I am not too sure what to expect, but I will definitely be checking it out!