brimartinez

Bri's Books

Hello, there! My name is Brianna, but everyone calls me Bri. I'm a book lover that lives in San Francisco, CA, and I will literally read anything that I can get my hands on. My go-to genres are usually urban or epic fantasy, anything YA, classics, and popular fiction and non-fiction works. I love going to unique bookstores, and the ultimate happiness is sipping on a cup of tea or coffee, curled up on the couch in a blanket and reading a good book.

I tend to write reviews on books that I really enjoyed or books that I didn't. My reviews can sometimes be snarky and sarcastic, emotional, or just filled with love and mushiness. I'm usually just a laid-back, open-minded and friendly person, but I will get excited and fangirl about books like you wouldn't believe! I always try to be respectful of both authors and readers whose opinions are different from mine, and I love having in-depth. thoughtful book discussions. If you are a fellow book lover that is active on the site, please do not hesitate to reach out and say hi! :)

Tiger's Quest

Tiger's Quest - Colleen Houck I could not bring myself to finish this book. I tried, I really did. I almost never bow out, but I just could not handle reading it a second longer.

After the first book, my expectations for this book were pretty low. Well, it ended up being even worse than I imagined. I got through half of it, and NOTHING HAPPENED. IN ~200 PAGES, NOTHING HAPPENED. The plot was non-existent, there was no character development, nothing. All that developed was a love triangle which was CRAZY annoying seeing as to how it was beyond pointless. There was no need for it whatsoever, for there was no character development. All it did was leave me more and more irked by the characters. Even Kishian was ruined for me. I partially adored him in the first book, and he seemed like a mysterious, intriguing character. However, like I said, even his character was destroyed. I cannot believe Houck made him start to have feelings for Kelsey. Really? REALLY? How could she make a character like Kishian fall in love with his brother's girlfriend, especially when that girlfriend is Kelsey? I am so sick of girls like Kelsey getting all this guy attention. There is literally nothing to her. I know I am being harsh, but after she gets the attention of 3-4 guys in the space of a couple of months and literally does nothing to warrant that attention (besides maybe standing in their general area), then it becomes ridiculous and unbelievable. And do not even get me started on the extreme lack of parental supervision.

Maybe I am missing something (a BIG something), but I really do not see how this series is so popular. I find Houck's writing to be immature and rather terrible, the characters are one-dimensional (and in most cases, downright irritating), and the there is little to no plot to write home about. Needless to say, I will not be continuing this series.