brimartinez

Bri's Books

Hello, there! My name is Brianna, but everyone calls me Bri. I'm a book lover that lives in San Francisco, CA, and I will literally read anything that I can get my hands on. My go-to genres are usually urban or epic fantasy, anything YA, classics, and popular fiction and non-fiction works. I love going to unique bookstores, and the ultimate happiness is sipping on a cup of tea or coffee, curled up on the couch in a blanket and reading a good book.

I tend to write reviews on books that I really enjoyed or books that I didn't. My reviews can sometimes be snarky and sarcastic, emotional, or just filled with love and mushiness. I'm usually just a laid-back, open-minded and friendly person, but I will get excited and fangirl about books like you wouldn't believe! I always try to be respectful of both authors and readers whose opinions are different from mine, and I love having in-depth. thoughtful book discussions. If you are a fellow book lover that is active on the site, please do not hesitate to reach out and say hi! :)

Existence

Existence - Abbi Glines Hello, pretty boy on the cover. Is it shallow of me to say that I wanted to read this book after I saw you and all of your glowy eyed-ness? Because that is what happened.

But anyway, enough of the beautiful boy cover and on to the actual story. This book was a great read. The premise of the story was very original, so if anyone is looking to escape reading books about vampires, werewolves, or any kind of thing thereof, this is something you should definitely check out. I also really liked Glines’s writing style. When a good story line and good writing are coupled together, you get a good book. And that is what Existence was.

I really liked all the characters for the most part. Pagan is a great female lead. She is a smart and strong, and her emotions came across really well. When she was afraid, there were moments I would look around my room to make sure no one was watching me. I also liked Dank (although I am not a fan of his name). He is a brooding and dark man with a sexy smirk, which is otherwise known as my weakness. He and Pagan together make a decent couple. But I gave my heart to Leif. (I have to admit, when his name first came up, I went and made sure that this book was not written by Maria V. Snyder. I was like, What?? Leif Zaltana? I thought this was a story about Death, not the Study series…? Whoops. My bad.) In any case (quit getting distracted, Bri!), I really liked Leif. He was all about breaking stereotypes. Here was the star of the football team who used to date the most popular girl in school. I know, you have heard this story, right? But things are revealed about Leif that broke all the stereotypes and really surprised me. Here is a guy who beat some pretty unfavorable odds to become the person he is today and he just happens to fall in love with a girl who is enamored with Death. I couldn’t help but root for him! He really cares for Pagan and I thought the chemistry between them was nice. I really hope there is a sequel to this story and he can find his own happiness.

I still have some questions after reading Existence. How was Dank able to become human and why, oh why, did he even bother with Kendra? Was there a point to it? Did he want to make Pagan jealous or try to forget about her? And why did no one remember him once he left school? Hopefully there will be a sequel (*COUGH*PLEASE*COUGH*) and some of things will be explained! Plus, with the ending Glines wrote, there HAS to be a sequel!

I recommend this book to any fan of paranormal romance! I have never read any of Abbi Glines books before, but I will be catching up on her other works pretty quickly if they’re anything like Existence. I have definitely become a fan (and I am an absolute sucker for any kind of romance). Glines has another book, Because of Low, due out February 7, 2012 and I am excited to read it!