brimartinez

Bri's Books

Hello, there! My name is Brianna, but everyone calls me Bri. I'm a book lover that lives in San Francisco, CA, and I will literally read anything that I can get my hands on. My go-to genres are usually urban or epic fantasy, anything YA, classics, and popular fiction and non-fiction works. I love going to unique bookstores, and the ultimate happiness is sipping on a cup of tea or coffee, curled up on the couch in a blanket and reading a good book.

I tend to write reviews on books that I really enjoyed or books that I didn't. My reviews can sometimes be snarky and sarcastic, emotional, or just filled with love and mushiness. I'm usually just a laid-back, open-minded and friendly person, but I will get excited and fangirl about books like you wouldn't believe! I always try to be respectful of both authors and readers whose opinions are different from mine, and I love having in-depth. thoughtful book discussions. If you are a fellow book lover that is active on the site, please do not hesitate to reach out and say hi! :)

Blood Past

Blood Past - Samantha Young Samantha Young has done it again! Another wonderful book to add to her repertoire of works (and I still hold to the statement of her being a genius)!

I enjoyed Blood Past immensely. When compared to the first book in the series, Blood Will Tell, this book had a different feel to it. BWT was super fast-paced, where emotions and plot where constantly being thrown in your face. In Blood Past, you get some more plot and emotions, but it also focuses on the relationships between the characters and is a little mellower in terms of intensity (but this mellow tone is much needed). We get to see the relationship between Noah and Eden grown as Eden slowly forgives Noah and realizes how she feels about him. It takes time for her to come to terms with what happened to her brother and Noah’s role in it, and she does not just forgive and forget. It made her grieving process seem real and I could not help but feel for her.

That is another thing I really liked about this book: the relationship between Noah and Eden and how perfectly played out it was. I love how Eden just does not automatically swoon in Noah’s arms when she forgave him. Another thing I really appreciated was there were chances where they could have tried to make the other one jealous through flirting and whatnot, and THEY NEVER DID. There were no games being played, no awkward third wheel, no trying to use underhanded techniques. Noah knew Eden would not like him flirting with another girl in front of her, so instead of trying to make her jealous, he ignored the girl. Can we just pause here a minute and take a nice, deep breath? Let’s bask in the fresh air! SO GREAT AND SO REFRESHING. Samantha Young, I love you for that.

We also got to know some pretty awesome characters: Cyrus, who takes his protective father role seriously (and it is hilarious the glares he throws Noah’s way), Valeria, the ultimate badass female warrior, October (LOVE HER!), Cameron, Darius, and the list goes on. I really liked almost all the characters (save Teagan- I REALLY do not like him. But then, as the villain, you are not supposed to, so Young has done her job). Great, great, great.

The Warriors of Ankh series will conclude on December 12, 2011 with the release of the third book, Shades of Blood. I am eager to see how it all ends! Why does December 12th seem so far away?????