brimartinez

Bri's Books

Hello, there! My name is Brianna, but everyone calls me Bri. I'm a book lover that lives in San Francisco, CA, and I will literally read anything that I can get my hands on. My go-to genres are usually urban or epic fantasy, anything YA, classics, and popular fiction and non-fiction works. I love going to unique bookstores, and the ultimate happiness is sipping on a cup of tea or coffee, curled up on the couch in a blanket and reading a good book.

I tend to write reviews on books that I really enjoyed or books that I didn't. My reviews can sometimes be snarky and sarcastic, emotional, or just filled with love and mushiness. I'm usually just a laid-back, open-minded and friendly person, but I will get excited and fangirl about books like you wouldn't believe! I always try to be respectful of both authors and readers whose opinions are different from mine, and I love having in-depth. thoughtful book discussions. If you are a fellow book lover that is active on the site, please do not hesitate to reach out and say hi! :)

Obsidian

Obsidian - Jennifer L. Armentrout Jennifer L. Armentrout, what have you done to me? I was perfectly fine until couple weeks ago, or at least until I read Half-Blood. I spent the next couple of days pining over Aiden and wishing I could find a man like him. And then you released Obsidian and introduced me to Daemon.

description

I am so far beyond being a lost cause it is not even funny. If he represents what aliens are really like, then they can feel free and come inhabit or take over the Earth anytime.

I am not even sure where to start. This book is without a doubt one of the best books I have ever read! I could not put it down. When I finished it, I immediately wanted to read it again. I HAVE ALMOST NEVER WANTED TO READ A BOOK AFTER JUST FINISHING IT! In fact, I have already gone back and read certain parts a couple of times already! >< It was just that good.

Katy is forced to move to a new, out-in-the-boonies town and her next door neighbors just happen to be the crazy sexy Daemon and his sister, Dee. She immediately hates Daemon after a few of his snarky comments, but she quickly becomes best friends with Dee, thus being drawn into their lives. She soon finds out that they are aliens and her life becomes a bit more… interesting. The story itself is great and I love Armentrout’s explanation as to why Daemon and others have come to Earth.

However, the best part of the whole book is the amazing characters and awesome dialogue. I instantly liked Katy. She is AWESOME! She is an avid reader and even has her own book blog (just another reason to love her) and she instantly takes a dislike to Daemon. Daemon infuriates her and knows all the ways to push her buttons, but what I love about her is that she pushes back. She does not just roll with the punches, she doles them out. I love how she takes none of his crap and throws his snide remarks back in his face (and the spaghetti scene was EPICCC). Plus, her emotions and reactions are real. When she first discovers that Daemon is not exactly human, she does not get all goo-goo eyed and stare at him in awe. No, she does what any (relatively) normal person would do in a situation like that: she runs away. Seriously, if I just discovered the boy next door was an alien with the ability to stop time and tear hundreds of trees out of the ground without even moving, I do not think I would stick around very long. Daemon’s sister Dee was also great. She seemed like the perfect best friend to have!

But the spotlight stealer is none other than Daemon himself. He is hardheaded, arrogant, infuriating, and (just sometimes) a little douchey, but he is one of the best (and HOTTEST) male characters ever. There were moments where what he said would make me cringe or want to shank him (which I’m sure is also how Katy felt), but there was a reason for everything he did or said. He just wants to protect his sister and his race, and if it means being unkind and callous to one human girl, he will do it. I LOVED reading some scenes from his point of view at the end of the book. By getting his perspective of things, it made me understand why he acts the way he does and how he is not a total jerk.I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love his character…. I just can’t. He is pure awesomeness wrapped in out-of-this-world sexiness. Let’s leave it at that.

When Daemon and Katy are together, the chemistry between them is just….crazy. I seriously have no idea how Armentrout did it, but it is wicked good. The dialogue between the two of them is super witty and I ate up every word. AND THE ANGST! OH GOD, THE ANGST! I cannot think of a moment where I have ever enjoyed angst this much. Everything about this book was brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

The second book in the series, Onyx, is scheduled to come out sometime in May and I am so excited! The ending to Obsidian left me wanting more and May cannot come fast enough! I have to warn you, Mrs. Armentrout, you have created two dream men in Aiden and Daemon, and I will continuously be checking up on your blog for any info relating to the Covenant and Lux series for more of them (ahhhh, boys).

description

For more of my reviews, check out my blog: http://brisbookbritannica.blogspot.com/