brimartinez

Bri's Books

Hello, there! My name is Brianna, but everyone calls me Bri. I'm a book lover that lives in San Francisco, CA, and I will literally read anything that I can get my hands on. My go-to genres are usually urban or epic fantasy, anything YA, classics, and popular fiction and non-fiction works. I love going to unique bookstores, and the ultimate happiness is sipping on a cup of tea or coffee, curled up on the couch in a blanket and reading a good book.

I tend to write reviews on books that I really enjoyed or books that I didn't. My reviews can sometimes be snarky and sarcastic, emotional, or just filled with love and mushiness. I'm usually just a laid-back, open-minded and friendly person, but I will get excited and fangirl about books like you wouldn't believe! I always try to be respectful of both authors and readers whose opinions are different from mine, and I love having in-depth. thoughtful book discussions. If you are a fellow book lover that is active on the site, please do not hesitate to reach out and say hi! :)

Half-Blood

Half-Blood - Jennifer L. Armentrout I. LOVED. THIS. BOOK.

I have seriously not enjoyed a book this much in a long while. Holy crap.

There were two reasons why I bought this book (that was all it took). Usually, I will try reading the first few pages in the store to see if I like the writing style and see if the book interests me at all. In this case, I did not even crack open the pages before buying. A book dealing with some Greek gods and half-bloods? I am all over it (thank you, Percy Jackson). The cover, in all of its luminescent glory, is breathtaking! I swear, I have bought more books this year for their pretty covers than ever before .

I am really conflicted about how to rate this book. It is pretty obvious already, but I enjoyed every page of this book. And I think the reason why is because it is essentially Richelle Mead’s Vampire Academy series. Alex is Rose, Aiden is Dimitri, Caleb is Mason, Lea is Mia, Deacon is Adrian, etc. The story/social structure and plot elements were the same as well: a pure blood= Moroi, a half-blood=dhampire, a daimon=Strigoi, and Sentinels=Guardians. In the beginning of the book, Alex returns to the Covenant (just like Rose returns to the Academy), the relationship between Aiden and Alex is forbidden (just like the relationship between Rose and Dimitri is a big no-no), Alex and Aiden almost ‘go all the way’ (just like Rose and Dimitri almost make it to home base), and the list goes on. If you have read VA, it is impossible not to notice. I loved and adored VA, and since these books are so similar, it is almost impossible for me not to like Half-Blood.

So as far as plot originality is concerned, there are certain parts and elements that are very much original, but the story and plot were a little too similar to Richelle Mead’s VA. But in Armentrout’s defense, there have been plenty of books that have been ripped off of other books and movies and still been a great read. I mean, hello, Hunger Games anyone? The story is a rehashing of Battle Royale (the dystopian version) and plenty of people loved it, just like me. So in terms of originality, the story was a little lacking, but in the end, it was immensely enjoyable. That’s what counts.

I am so excited for the sequel, Pure, due out April 2012. I have the date marked on Google Calendar already! Does that make me pathetic? (Please do not judge me.) It seems like the sequel will split away from the plot line of VA a little and we will see more Armentrout’s own plot twists, which I am super fired up for. I honestly cannot wait! Jennifer L. Armentrout, you have made a fan out of me.