brimartinez

Bri's Books

Hello, there! My name is Brianna, but everyone calls me Bri. I'm a book lover that lives in San Francisco, CA, and I will literally read anything that I can get my hands on. My go-to genres are usually urban or epic fantasy, anything YA, classics, and popular fiction and non-fiction works. I love going to unique bookstores, and the ultimate happiness is sipping on a cup of tea or coffee, curled up on the couch in a blanket and reading a good book.

I tend to write reviews on books that I really enjoyed or books that I didn't. My reviews can sometimes be snarky and sarcastic, emotional, or just filled with love and mushiness. I'm usually just a laid-back, open-minded and friendly person, but I will get excited and fangirl about books like you wouldn't believe! I always try to be respectful of both authors and readers whose opinions are different from mine, and I love having in-depth. thoughtful book discussions. If you are a fellow book lover that is active on the site, please do not hesitate to reach out and say hi! :)

EXILED (Immortal Essence Book 1)

EXILED (Immortal Essence Book 1) - RaShelle Workman Just before becoming immortal, Venus was cast to Earth by a traitor who lived amongst her. The one way to get back to her planet, Kelari, is to help a human boy named Michael find his true love. But she only has 7 days to do it until the Earth’s atmosphere ruins her body and kills her. If that is not bad enough, she has a government agency trying to capture her to use for their experiments and another immortal going around killing humans for crazy rituals who has pegged her as his/her next target. What’s a girl to do?

This book was enjoyable enough, but I am not sure how memorable it will be for me. I liked the premise of the story and it was a nice read, but it is not one of my favorites. While the writing was decent, some parts of the story actually threw me for a loop. There were many times where what was happening was not clearly told/portrayed and other times where a character’s emotions changed too quickly for me to keep up with. Venus would be excited about going horseback riding in one sentence and then in the next, she was crying and talking about how much she missed her planet. I understood what the Workman was trying to get at, but the bipolar parts just confused me and I felt like the story was a little lost on me.

The characters were also okay. I did not connect to or really like most of the characters and I felt like the chemistry between Venus and Michael was a little weak. I did like Zaren, though! He felt the most real out of all of them and I liked his interactions with Venus, especially when his protective side came out. (I am Team Zaren all the way!)

The second book in the series, Beguiled, is due out May 2012. I will try reading it since I am interested to see how the story progresses!