brimartinez

Bri's Books

Hello, there! My name is Brianna, but everyone calls me Bri. I'm a book lover that lives in San Francisco, CA, and I will literally read anything that I can get my hands on. My go-to genres are usually urban or epic fantasy, anything YA, classics, and popular fiction and non-fiction works. I love going to unique bookstores, and the ultimate happiness is sipping on a cup of tea or coffee, curled up on the couch in a blanket and reading a good book.

I tend to write reviews on books that I really enjoyed or books that I didn't. My reviews can sometimes be snarky and sarcastic, emotional, or just filled with love and mushiness. I'm usually just a laid-back, open-minded and friendly person, but I will get excited and fangirl about books like you wouldn't believe! I always try to be respectful of both authors and readers whose opinions are different from mine, and I love having in-depth. thoughtful book discussions. If you are a fellow book lover that is active on the site, please do not hesitate to reach out and say hi! :)

Shatter Me

Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi OK, I am sorry, but I need to just say that Adam is…… WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

description

I am going to warn you now, this review could just end up being a total ode to Adam and full of a fangirl’s ranting. (OHMYGODHEISSODEADSEXYIDONOTKNOWWHATTODOWITHMYSELF.) Alright, I got some of it out. I am going to try and stop there. Try being the key word.

I really liked Juliette. I think what I liked most about her was how mentally strong she was. If I had been stuck in a small cell for over 264 days, I think I would be doing a little more than counting the cracks in the ceiling and walls. I would probably be slamming my head into the walls to make some more cracks (and then be able to count some more!). Seriously, with everything she has been through and all the tough times she faced, I am surprised she has not gone insane. I really liked her for that. One of the other characters I feel in love with was Kenji. HE IS SO FUNNY! I cannot wait to see more of him in the second book. In the span of a few pages, I almost instantly fell in love with him (but I had already given my heart to Adam). And then there was little James. I would love to make him my teddy bear. He is soooo adorable.

I really liked all the characters (save Warner and his confusing obsession with Juliette- why IS he so obsessed?)! Especially Adam. Ahhhh….. Adam. There is something about a hardcore soldier who can be a softie at times (especially with his little brother) that is just so…..hot. I loved how he would get emotional with Juliette and then turn into a super soldier around Kenji, where every other word out of his mouth was a curse word and he would die to protect those he loves. It’s pretty sexy. ><

Mafi’s writing style is very unique. She is very descriptive and constantly uses metaphors, which some people really did not like. I did not mind it that much. In fact, I really liked it! It was very new and refreshing and sometimes the details and descriptions she gave were gorgeous. Granted, there were a few times where I had to pause and be like, wait, what....? Sometimes her writing was TOO GOOD and TOO BEAUTIFUL and I lost a bit of the story and focused more on her prose. But honestly, I would rather be distracted from a story due to good writing and delving into the meaning of it all instead of being totally uninterested in it. Who wouldn’t? And trust me, I got plenty distracted enough by daydreaming of Adam. So, needless to say, I did not mind her writing style at all!

Some people also did not care for the ending. I did not mind it, and I am excited to see where it all leads! I would have liked to have a little more information about the politics and social structure of the world. It was laid out briefly, but I would like to know a little more, especially how The Reestablishment came to power. But that could all be explained in the next book!

As a brief side note, I have to say that 2011 has made me a fan of dystopian literature. Between Divergent, Shatter Me, and Delirium, it is almost impossible NOT to be a fan.

The second novel, which is not yet titled, is due out in 2012. More Adam? I am so there.